As is common with older furniture, this dresser is very well made. The only repairs that were necessary were cosmetic from years of use.
I started by filling in deep scratches and giving it a good sanding. Since I knew I wanted to paint the dresser white, I sealed the entire piece to keep the tannins in wood and stain from bleeding through. Next I primed and painted. The white paint gave the dresser a crisp, fresh look.
I decided I wanted to add some floral flair and added a branch and flower design to span the top, sides and across the drawers. I kept the new knobs a simple bubble glass so as not to detract from the floral design.